Thursday, September 5, 2013

Of Flailing and Sea Turtles....

I came across a video on Facebook the other day.  It depicts the hatching and mega-sand trek of baby Leatherback sea turtles.  They boil up out of the sand, struggle to the surface, and then have to make the long journey to the ocean, which is fraught with dips, divots, and other obstructions.  If you’d like to see this video, click the following link.  It really is six minutes of your time that will not be wasted.   (Enlarge the screen to full size if you don’t see the video right away):  http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/hatching-of-endangered-leatherback-sea-turtles-captured-on-video-by-beachgoer/

First of all, it is a wonder to me that they even make it out of their sandy nests.  After cracking their egg shells with a “caruncle,” a tooth that they shed shortly after hatching, they must dig their way to the surface.  (Quick question:  How do they know which way is up?)  Well, once they get oriented, they must plow their way to the surface, following a grand exodus of their turtle siblings.  They probably get some sand in their eyes and maybe a flipper or two to the face.  Regardless of this elbow-to-elbow struggle to the surface (if sea turtles actually have elbows), once they emerge into the cool night air they must then make their way to the ocean.  It’s amazing that they can rely on natural cues and God-given instinct to take off in the right direction!  But even once they get oriented, they must travel quite a distance (especially for a tiny, silver-dollar sized turtle) to take their proverbial plunge into life.  They have sand divots, beach debris, and predators to avoid, and all of this could potentially drive them off-course.  Oh yeah, they also have to contend with the ocean waves, and then all the predators that await in the sea.

Our little band of turtles on the video have quite an introduction to the world.  (Fun fact:  A group of turtles is called a bale, a nest, a turn, or a dole).  What struck me most while watching the video was just how hard the little guys have to work just to dive into the ocean.  They’ve only just begun, and already they must be exhausted!  Part of me (okay, a large part of me) wanted to just step into the scene, scoop them up, and gently deposit them into the rest of their lives.  Then I remembered something.  Now, admittedly, I don’t know if this is scientifically sound information I am about to share, but I have read this before and have heard other people mention that picking up and transporting a baby turtle into the ocean is actually detrimental to their survival.  The reason this is (or so I have heard) is that the struggle is essential to their survival.  This toil actually helps to strengthen the turtle.   I have heard this is also true for moths and butterflies as they emerge from their cocoons.  If the creature doesn’t endure the struggle, its chance of survival greatly diminishes.

Being a complete sucker for symbolism, metaphor, and analogy, I was compelled to take the tale of the turtles farther -- into my own life.  I don’t like struggle.  Who does?  I actually have become quite adept at avoiding conflict.  I can see it coming, and my mind races with a plan to evade or circumnavigate the trial.  I sometimes exude ninja-like deftness at dodging strife.  (It’s pretty impressive, if I do say so myself).

But here’s what I realized as I watched the march of the turtles:  What is true for the turtles is true for us humans.  Struggle is strengthening.  When we struggle, we get stronger:  physically, emotionally, spiritually, and intellectually.  This doesn’t mean that we are always victorious in our hardships, but, triumphant or not, we gain something when we wrestle.  Maybe we gain a new perspective.  Or a new piece of wisdom.  Or a new understanding of ourselves.  But just like I watched the turtles work so hard to arrive at their destination, I suspect that God also watches our exertions carefully and with great care.  And while sometimes He might deem it right to simply pluck us out of the situation (and believe me, God has certainly plucked me out of a few fires in my day), more often than not it is perhaps God’s incomprehensible grace that allows us to flail, squirm, and duke it out, because He has something He wants us to learn from it all.  And I’ll bet He is cheering for us every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment