Friday, September 13, 2013

Word of the Week: Mudita

I love learning new things.  This makes my job as a teacher especially fun, because I am learning new things all of the time.  This week I had a late night for the Back to School Night event, so I went to a local restaurant for a little quiet moment and some delicious Chinese food.  When I eat alone, I like to bring a magazine along, and it was thanks to this little moment of solitude that I learned a new word:  Mudita.

Mudita, a Buddhist concept, can be defined as joy for someone else’s success.  Here’s how Buddha defined it:  Here, O, Monks, a disciple lets his mind pervade one quarter of the world with thoughts of unselfish joy, and so the second, and so the third, and so the fourth. And thus the whole wide world, above, below, around, everywhere and equally, he continues to pervade with a heart of unselfish joy, abundant, grown great, measureless, without hostility or ill-will. I don’t think you need to be Buddhist to see the value in this concept.

I confess that sometimes I am not terribly gracious.  It is easy for me to feel envy when someone I know (or even someone I don’t know) finds success that I wish I could find.  I felt more than a little burn of envy when a group of people won a lottery worth millions…a lottery for which my husband and I bought 2 tickets.  Oh man…what I could have done with those millions!  Woe is me.  My mom just retired.  She completely deserves this time of rest and renewal.  I felt a pang of jealousy when I left for my first day of school this August.  And then I loathed myself for it.  And then I got over it. 

These moments of jealousy are the opposite of Mudita.  Feeling sincere joy for someone else’s success is something I am practicing.  I have a terrible tendency to compare myself against others, especially at work.  Setting aside my personal insecurities to celebrate (and dare I say brag about) my friends’ or coworkers’ successes is absolutely worth kicking my own insecurities to the curb.  But boy is it difficult. 

We have a friend who taught me about Mudita many years ago…and he probably didn’t even know it.  His name is Todd.  Ages ago, dare I say ten years ago, we were all hanging out in our boat, enjoying some fried chicken, shade in “Duck Cove,” and conversations about everything under the sun.  In fact, I don’t recall the precise subject, but I was talking about somebody who had just won something or had just spent an exorbitant amount of money on something…I don’t know….maybe we were talking about a celebrity or something.  So I enter this conversation with a voice dripping with envy that is conveniently masked as financial conservatism (i.e. “Can you believe what a waste of money that 25,000 square foot mansion is?), and Todd replies, “Isn’t that wonderful?  What a cool thing that [enter name of celebrity] is so good at his job that he can afford that mansion!”

I confess that I was quite taken aback…but silently and in my mind.  Why couldn’t I (wouldn’t I?) feel that kind of unfettered joy for someone’s success?  (Answer:  Because I was jealous and insecure.  Duh).  I didn’t like that feeling very much, largely because I was ashamed of myself.

I don’t want to be the kind of person who feels sour and bitter over the accomplishments of others, even if I try to cloak it in some other palatable emotion or context.  I want to feel deep MUDITA for others.  Deep, unselfish happiness…what can be better than a pure emotion such as this?

Today I practiced this in a small way.  I wore a cute pink and black striped dress to school today.  I’ll admit that it was quite stylish for a person such as myself (who finds jeans and a hoodie to be sufficient for everyday activities).  As I was leaving the building, some of my lovely students complimented me on my fashion sense.  I thanked them, then added, “I’m taking a cue from Dr. LeBlanc,” I said.  “Now she is one stylish lady!”  And you know what?  It’s true.  Dr. LeBlanc is the funniest, spunkiest, most stylish teacher I know.  She would be easy to envy.  She has wild, red curly hair, she is probably the most un-self-conscious person I know.  She is full of joy and laughter.  And she always thinks of others when I am too busy to look up from my computer screen.  But instead of being mopey or jealous or insecure, I would rather celebrate what a wonderful teacher and human being she really is. 

Want another confession?  It felt really good to send my insecurities packing and celebrate someone else’s fabulousity, even in such a small way.

No comments:

Post a Comment