Friday, June 6, 2014

A Word about Words . . .


At night, when it is very quiet, my ears hum.  I like to think that reverberating in my ears is an echo from all of the day’s activities.  The ghosts of all those words buzz with such force I think I can even feel a vibration. 

If you think about it, we are bombarded by words all day long:  Our eyes run over letters and commas and periods and sentences from morning until night; our fingers pen or type words for work or just to leave a note for a loved one; we hear snippets of conversations by those around us, by people we don’t know; we speak with strangers and friends and acquaintances; some of us even talk in our sleep!  We release and receive probably thousands of words (if not more) each day.  What do all those words add up to, I wonder?

Today a student who just graduated from the school where I teach gave me a letter.  At the end of each school year, part of my freshmen final requires my students to write a letter to themselves.  They show me the letter, which I just check for the required length, then they seal it inside an envelope, affix a stamp in the upper right corner, and wait for a year and a half for that letter to reach them.  This has been a wildly well-received exercise, and when the juniors receive a missive from them former selves, they often are surprised and amused with the person they encounter.  They see their freshman handwriting, hear the angst in their freshman words, and reflect upon how far they have come.  It turns out that one of my students included a letter to me in her envelope, and she saved it for after she graduated.  Today I received the kindest words written four years ago, words that encouraged me and nourished my soul.  Those words, written on college ruled paper with a standard number two pencil, carried immense power, grace, and kindness.  Those words penetrated into my heart and built me up.  I will cherish her words and will keep that letter forever, because those words breathed life and joy and meaning into my spirit. 

How is it that letters connected into words that are connected into phrases and sentences and thoughts can penetrate into one’s soul?  How can mere words have so much impact in a person’s life? 

We should be very careful with our words. 

In a single word we can build someone up or tear someone down.  With a handful of words we can steal or instill hope.  Words can bring life or take life, connect or destroy hearts, bring laughter or tears.  We carry with us the words of those we love even after those loved ones are gone.  Words can lead others on a pathway of healing or a road to destruction.  Careless words spoken in haste can live on forever, released into the air like angry wasps waiting to sting.  Kind words spoken in truth and love can act like guiding stars for years to come. 

In the Bible there are over 130 mentions of the tongue.  Repeatedly the Bible describes the tongue as “restless,” “untamable,” “a fire,” and a bow waiting to fling an arrow, or a sharp sword.  With words the tongue can wound.  The tongue can mislead.  The tongue can instill fear.  The tongue can destroy.  But according to Proverbs 12 the tongue can also bring healing.  Using thoughtful words the tongue can build up.  The tongue can bring knowledge and healing.   Proverbs 15 says that a gentle tongue is a “tree of life.”  Proverbs 18 says that “death and life are in the power of the tongue.”  A happy tongue sings.  A wise tongue instructs.  A kind tongue edifies. 

It is easy to forget the power that we carry within our words. 

Words live on even after they are spoken, and they buzz and hum in our ears, rattle around in our brains, and settle into our hearts. 

What words do you allow into your life?  Silence those voices that only wound you with words.  Shut the door to them.  Don’t let destructive people harm you with their careless words. 

What words do you release into the world?  May they be words that bring life and hope and healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment