Friday, May 23, 2014

There Are Always Two Sides to Everything!


I have the privilege of working with and being friends with some wonderfully wise people.  I spend my lunches chatting with a teacher whom I really admire and appreciate.  We share our lives, discuss interesting books that we’ve read, air our frustrations, and generally just try to help bear each other’s burdens.  I find myself paying careful attention to people I trust and watching how they handle situations.  I want to glean as much wisdom from them as I can. 

My teacher-friend said something really interesting a few months ago.  A book she was reading pointed out that a person’s strengths are also rooted in a person’s weaknesses.  Think of it like a rope in a game of tug-of-war.  Your strengths pull the rope in one direction, and the weaknesses pull in the other.  The more I thought about this, the more I realized how true it really is…and I feel silly that I hadn’t thought of it myself. 

Take a second to think about one of your primary strengths.  What benefits are there to your strength?  How does it enhance your life?  One of my strengths is that I am pretty easy-going.  Not much gets me upset.  This has proven to be an asset in many ways.  When my students do something frustrating, I am able to handle it without showing signs of frustrations.  When tempers flare, I can often find ways to cool things down.  I am really content under most circumstances. 

Okay, now think about how that strength also has a flip-side.  In what ways does your strength get in your way?  How might it rear its ugly head in a negative sense?  My easy-going nature can really frustrate my husband.  He’s pretty tenacious, so he doesn’t always understand my “be calm” attitude.  I can be complacent and dare-I-say stagnant.  I don’t take risks because I am happy and therefore don’t always push myself for better. 

It has been interesting to look at my own behavior in light of this two-sides-to-the-coin point of view.  While I hate that I’m not more competitive, I love that I am very accepting of people and their differences.  My husband’s get-it-done attitude is not only admirable, but sexy, and I wish that I could be more aggressive in certain ways.   But I love that I always aim to treat people as kindly and gently as possible. 

I guess what I’m getting at is that we can wish we were different or yearn to be someone else, but who we are, both good and bad, is rather tangled up.  I could strip myself of my “be chill” attitude, but I don’t think I’d like the negative side of that behavior.  I think I need to start appreciating who God created me to be and capitalize on those things I am proud of.  I’m not saying we can’t work hard to cull out the things in our personalities or behavior that we don’t like…There are plenty of things I am working hard to improve about myself.  It is really healthy to nurture our strengths and work on improving our weaknesses.  But it’s not healthy to walk through life full of regrets and if-only’s.

So, take stock of the things about you that you are proud of.  Celebrate what makes you YOU!  Work on the things that need improving, by all means, but spend lots of time simply enjoying the person you are and the way you enhance the lives of others.  The more we focus on the positives, the more effective we can be in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment