Friday, April 18, 2014

Eyes Wide Open....


I accidentally preached myself a sermon yesterday. 

I have a 16 year old cat named “Boy.”  Well, actually, his original name was “Charlie,” which became “Charlie My Boy,” which became “My Boy,” which became “Boy.”  And before I adopted him at the tender age of three months old he was called “Ernie.”  Boy is very fussy.   He likes his world to be the same, with no changes to his carefully arranged plans.  He doesn’t like surprises, he guards his peace and quiet, and he resists anything that can potentially upturn his comfort.  I understand Boy because he and I are pretty similar.  I resist change.  I need a peaceful environment.  Boy and I are cut from the same cloth.

Enter Noel…a rambunctious, spunky, springy little Corgi cross.  She is truly a sweet, agreeable little dog.  Her curiosity, especially with regard to our cats, is unacceptable to Boy.  Tippy McWetwoods, our rough-and-tumble formerly stray cat, has gotten quite accustomed to Noel’s curious nose.  If he jumps down onto the floor, Noel will follow after him.  Tippy just accepts this, doesn’t get worked up, and even taunts her a little bit before going for higher ground.  Sparrow, our feisty black-and-white mama kitty, is very chatty with Noel.  Sparrow will sit on the back of the couch giving Noel the what-for, and it is not unusual for Noel to take a few swats on the nose when she gets too close for Sparrow’s comfort. 

Then there’s Boy.  He has holed up in our bedroom ever since Noel’s adoption in December.   We put up a baby gate to keep Noel from invading Boy’s turf.  We carry him down into the living room to encourage him to interact with the family and get over his fears, but within a few minutes he scampers back up to his bedroom sanctuary. 

Yesterday, shortly after Boy snuck back upstairs, I said to my husband, “You know what Boy’s problem is?  He refuses to face his fears.  Rather than getting used to Noel and facing her head-on, he avoids her altogether.  If he would just suck it up, he would find that Noel isn’t scary.  She doesn’t want to harm him….” 

And then I realized that I had just preached myself a sermon. 

How many times do I avoid something simply because it’s scary?   (A lot, I’m afraid to say).  How often do I stare my fears in the face and see them for what they really are?  (Less often that I would like, to be truthful).  How easy is it to get stuck in the avoidance game?  (Too easy). 

It’s time to take my own advice on a more regular basis.  This life is filled with twists and turns and unexpected surprises.  Far better to face life with open eyes than with fear and trepidation.  

In the meantime, we will continue to carry Boy down to the living room to hang out with us.  We will also continue to deliver Boy’s food to him up in the bedroom.  He is, after all, a little prince who has had my heart for over 16 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment