Friday, February 28, 2014

Hey Brain! Simmer Down!

I have mentioned before that I have a very chatty brain.  I wish I could say that all my brain chatter was intellectual, productive, or even interesting, but often it’s not.  It’s typically a whole bunch of random babble about past memories, future plans, and hypothetical conversations.  Today I wrote a lesson plan in my mind when I found 10 minutes of uninterrupted time.  This morning I had so much chit chat in my brain I had to turn on an audiobook on my car stereo just to shut up the silly brain banter. 

I wonder if I am not the only one who has a lot of noise in her life.  Really, we humans are bombarded with a lot of stimulation throughout our days.  I wonder sometimes if we have forgotten how to just sit.  Just sit and observe and think. 

I had the privilege of watching and evaluating several senior project presentations this month.  Our seniors researched every topic under the sun, wrote extensive essays, then culminated their findings into 10-15 minute oral presentations.  I have learned about the dangers of wheat, dogs that can smell disease, shift schedules of emergency/rescue workers, eating disorders, the danger of GMO’s, the harmlessness of GMO’s, and on and on.  Today I heard a presentation about how we communicate these days.  I learned that Facebook, email, and texting are the primary forms of communication.  Face-to-face communication was a teeny-tiny little smidge of conversation modes that are in use today.  Our gadgets rule us these days.  I admit that I am intrigued by the “smart phones” I see people carrying around.  I’ll bet it’s pretty fun to have a phone that is also a computer, camera, calendar, television, and general lifeline.  They look fun, they come in cool colors, and you can get the Siri app and she’ll talk to you by name!  I kind of want one.  But I know that if I had a smart phone, it would slowly take over my life.  I would be powerless to its siren charms.  I would be one of the people I see at every restaurant, mall, or park I have been to….swooshing away on my phone instead of paying attention to life. 

My Tracfone prevents me from becoming one of the tech-dependent…at least in public places, but I have already become victim to my IPad.  I get home from school, scoop up the tablet, and swoosh the night away.  Usually it starts out productive; I’m multitasking while relaxing and watching a show on TV.  I check emails and accomplish school-related tasks.  Then it becomes less productive:  Facebook, random internet searches, and (yes, I blush to admit it) my current addiction to Candy Crush.  (I am confident the addiction will end soon.  For a while it was Wordament, then Chicktionary, then Hungry Shark, then Tetris….my addictions come and go with alarming regularity).  Suddenly I look at the clock and realize that it’s 7:00, and I have work to do, kitchens to clean, pets to take care of.  Where does the time go? I lament. 

Oh yeah.  It flew away on the wings of a technological bird.  Sigh. 

Part of the problem is connected to multi-tasking.  I have realized that I don’t just sit and enjoy one activity at a time very much.  When I’m at home, I’m usually doing more than one thing at a single time:   Reading, talking with my husband, swooshing on my tablet, throwing a toy for the dog.  When I am out and about, I might actually sit on a bench and just observe.  (My cute little Tracfone doesn’t have the siren’s call that other fancy phones would have.  The poor thing usually sits snugly in my Subaru’s cubby, waiting for a phone call).  This morning I stood out in the February wind, holding the leash of my corgi mix, Noel (we call her a “Corgi Cocktail” because we don’t know what she’s mixed with).  Noel has this….quirk…where she likes to stand outside and think about things before heeding nature’s call.  So, this morning I stood in the winter “breeze” in my poorly-insulated pajama pants and jacket, waiting for her to make her move.  Noel let the wind waft through her hair, found snow to chomp (she really enjoys eating snow), and cocked her head at every rustle and creak in the forest.  I was being patient (I have progressed through the five stages of grief related to standing outside in inclement weather.  I am officially at the “acceptance” stage).  And then I heard it:  a singular Redwing Blackbird call.  In my still-sleepy state I nearly missed registering the significance of that moment.  A REDWIND BLACKBIRD CALL?  THIS CAN ONLY MEAN ONE THING – SPRING IS COMING!

Noel finally got down to business, and as I was walking into the house I realized that the three-minute morning solitude had produced quite a gem.  The Redwing Blackbird is our first harkening of Spring.  I would have surely missed that, had Noel not forced me to just stand there in the snow and BE. 

The Bible has a lot to say about quietude.  Peter noted that a woman’s truest beauty was in her “gentle and quiet spirit.”  He wrote, “…let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.”  I think this is precious in God’s sight because it is so very good for us to experience quietness and to exercise gentleness.  I think quietude is something our souls crave.  I know I do.  So my goal in the next few months is to unplug a bit, simplify my daily activities, and find some moments of tranquility.  I came up with this idea during one of my brain’s chat-fests, so I guess not all of my brain noise is worthless.

No comments:

Post a Comment