Friday, January 24, 2014

Beat Back the Busy Beast!

I don’t know about you, but the world sure seems to be spinning at an alarming rate.  It’s a wonder I don’t go flying off into outer space from the centrifugal force.  When I was little, we went to the city park where I always loved to play on the merry-go-round.  You remember this one, right?  A metal disk with railings in each of the quadrants like sections of a pie.  There was a space in the center where one lucky soul would sit, protected by the railing poles with their feet braced against the force of the spin.  The other, less fortunate, kids (usually I was this kid) were stationed along the outer edges of the disk, clinging to the railings for dear life.  Our fear was centered on the one kid who was to spin us into oblivion.  Usually this was an older, stronger child, and he usually had a devilish look on his face right before he threw every ounce of effort and energy into spinning our merry-go-round.  Meanwhile, the centrifugal force would latch onto our scrawny little bodies, threatening to fling us into the pine shavings or pea gravel of the playground. 

While it seems like only childhood playground fun, this is how I feel pretty much all of the time these days.  Clinging for dear life to whatever hand-hold I can grab, straining against the sucking force of deadlines, duties, and just life in general.  I am sure that my busyness is somewhat self-generated.  If I got serious, I could analyze how I budget my time and where I am wasting minutes.  I could determine where the priorities lie and sort out my to-do list with the most pressing things at the top.  Maybe I will someday, but I don’t feel like being that analytical just yet (and who has time for all that?). 
 
I’ve caught myself passing on social invitations because I am so busy.  This past week I had two after-school meetings and a book club get together; on Saturday alone I have morning meetings and an hour-long obedience class with my dog, a wedding, and a birthday scrapbooking fandango for my best friend of almost 30 years. And we don’t even have kids!  (God bless all you parents out there…I couldn’t do what you do).   I had to decline the wedding invitation because it conflicted with the birthday celebration.  I nearly skipped Thursday’s book club altogether.  I didn’t have time to read the book, and I hate being the one slacker in the room.  But I realized that I just couldn’t say no to book club.  First of all, I had passed on last month’s book club for the same reason.  Honestly, if I let busyness be my guide, I’d never go to book club again.  So, I raced home from work, shoveled in my dinner, and raced back out the door (after kissing my patient husband and begging his forgiveness for the guilt I felt over “abandoning him”).

I arrived at my friend’s house and apologized profusely for failing to read the book, dug into a bowl of gummy bears, and decided that I would still find a way to contribute to our group’s discussion.  And we had a great discussion.  My inability to discuss the book specifically was frustrating (at least it was frustrating for me), but we talked about a lot of life issues that the book brought up, which was where I could weigh in.  In an hour and a half we laughed a lot.  We shared stories about our own lives; we talked about courage; we talked about growing up.  I met new people.  We loved on my friend’s dogs.  We ate yummy snacks.

I made sure to leave before 8:30 so I could get home and at least kiss my husband goodbye before he went to work (he has a crazy work schedule, too).  On the drive home I realized that as busy and hectic as I felt earlier that day, I was glad that I took a couple hours from my evening to spend with friends.  In that short time I was inspired by my tablemates, encouraged by them, and I was lighter in spirit.   So I cemented that lesson in my brain:  Don’t sacrifice gathering with good people because you’re “busy.”  Let’s face it:  I couldn’t be at a wedding in Spokane and a birthday celebration in Sandpoint at the same time.  So yes, there are times when busyness wins.  And sometimes you just have to say “no” for the sake of your own mental and emotional health.  And sometimes (let’s be honest) the invitation just isn’t what excites or inspires you (in which case, decline!).   But if you find yourself constantly declining invitations because of busyness, you might be missing out on life.  You might miss making wonderful memories or being encouraged or being inspired or learning new things. 

Life is too short to let the beast of busyness beat you down!

No comments:

Post a Comment