Friday, June 7, 2013

It's (Almost) Summertime and the Living Is (Almost) Easy....

Well, it’s official:  Summer is upon us!   Next week my students will take their final exams, and then we are all free to skip into the summer sun.  Yes, days filled with promise await my students and me.  Hammocks, lounging on the beach, working in the yard…I have to admit, though, that there is one thing I dread about summer vacation:  the guilt. 

If I had a dollar for every time I have heard someone say, “Oh, you must have gotten into teaching because of the summers off,” I’d be retired by now.  If you want to know the truth, I’m tired.  Really tired.  Students work hard and teachers work hard.  Long nights of grading papers, preparing lessons, writing tests, reading the assigned texts…a lot of hours are required beyond teaching an 8 hour day to get it all done.  Last summer I also took several weeks of continuing education classes which took a lot of time and mental energy.  I’m looking forward to this summer vacation, and I’m going to work hard to not feel guilty.

Where does this guilt come from?  Some of the guilt does come from those outside voices that suggest that teachers have it “easy” because they have summers off, but I also understand that they might not take into account that a teacher’s workday is rarely a mere 8 hours long.  However, I’m still easily annoyed by those who seem quite assured that teachers really are on a cake walk.  We’re not.

Likely, though, much of the guilt comes from deep inside me.  I suspect I was a pretty easy kid to raise because my internal guilt alarms were going off quite regularly, and those alarms prevented me from getting myself into all kinds of trouble.  I felt guilty even before I had done anything wrong!  So yes, I am aware that I probably heap a lot of unnecessary guilt onto my own head as I look down the road for the next 8 weeks and contemplate what I will do with my summer.  I have my standard plans in order:  Volunteering two mornings at the Humane Society; spending at least one afternoon a week with my adorable 91 year old gramma; reading the books that have been collecting dust on my night stand; working in our yard…I’m excited about refueling my heart and mind and spending quality time with my husband, family, and friends.  I’m excited about waking up without an agenda staring me in the face.

But I fear the moments when I will feel guilty.  This world moves at a very fast pace, and I think I have somehow gotten trapped on the “busy treadmill.”  If I’m not doing something, I feel unease.  I catch myself multi-tasking even when the lazy days of summer are upon me.  I get anxious when I think I have somehow wasted the day.  But I’m starting to think that there is a lot of soul value in just learning how to BE.  This is on my to-do list for the summer (and yes, I do see the irony of this):  Quieting my mind.  Plan A is to slow myself down.  How can I get to a place where I can just sit and enjoy the simple pleasures of this life?  And even more challenging, how can I do this without a panicked list of to-do’s flashing through my mind or getting up from my quietude two minutes later to “do something productive”? 

I have a feeling this is going to be a bigger challenge than I have bargained for, but I am going to practice some porch sitting, let the birdsong quiet my heart, and feel and appreciate the sun on my face.   And while I have a summer calendar dotted with important and fulfilling things to do, one of the best things on that list is to learn how to just BE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment