Friday, May 3, 2013

When I Am Weak, Then I am Strong...

I have a lot of flaws.  Let me enumerate a sampling for you:

1.      Though I am a teacher and talk in front of people all day long, I get stammer-y, cotton-mouthed, and tongue-tied when I speak in front of groups of people.  Despite my best efforts to curtail this, it is a miracle when I actually speak in front of the public without looking like an idiot.

2.      I am very serious.  It’s hard for me to loosen up and just laugh sometimes. 

3.      My natural state is quite lazy. 

4.      I procrastinate.  A lot.

5.      I have a lousy memory.  If I don’t write something down, it’ll be gone in mere minutes.  Currently there is a note taped to the dashboard of my Subaru shouting OIL CHANGE!  at me in all caps.

6.      When someone offends me in a serious way, it is practically impossible for me to get past that on an emotional level.  Even if I want to just put the offense behind me and move on, it is very difficult to get my emotions to follow suit.

7.      Though I don’t think I’m stupid, it takes me a long time to process complicated (or semi-complicated) topics.  Take my mutual fund, for instance.  I listen intently to my financial planner, but my brain kind of blanks out and I lose track of the facts.  I am slow...

8.      I let my desk drawers get cluttered, and I wish I was more naturally organized.  I have to wrangle the pantry into an organized state at least every 3 to 4 months, but slowly over time it will become disorganized again.

9.      I’m not very competitive.  I lack a healthy “killer instinct” because I’m too laid-back.

Okay, there are probably many more things, but this list is what came to mind in the past 5 minutes.  I have fought against my flaws for years.  I have, in fact, conquered several of my flaws and eradicated them from my life.  For instance, in my teens and twenties, when I would get angry with someone (a boyfriend, for instance) I would completely shut down.  I would not (could not?) talk about it.  Instead, I would “kill ‘em with silence.”  And I mean for hours or days.  I never liked this about myself, and with a whole lot of will-power and prayer, I have really gotten past that unpleasant personality trait. 

But let’s face it:  Some flaws are such a part of our make-up we are probably stuck with them.   I don’t think I can ever take enough Toast Master speaking courses to actually get over my cotton-mouthed fear of public speaking.  Despite my innate desire to remember all the things I need to accomplish in a week, I’m still probably going to have to tape notes to my car keys and dashboard or I will forget them.  And here's a whopper:  I am working my butt off to get past my feelings about someone I work with who did something seriously shady, but I don’t know if I will ever want to be in the same room with her no matter how hard I try to “get over it.” 

I came across a quote this week that spoke to me regarding flaws.  In her book of essays titled Waiting for God, Simone Weil (who, though raised in a Jewish, middle-class family, worked at a an inner-city factory) chronicles her conversion to Christianity as a young woman.  “I think that it is useless to fight directly against natural weaknesses. One has to force oneself to act as though one did not have them in circumstances where a duty makes it imperative; and in the ordinary course of life one has to know these weaknesses, prudently take them into account, and strive to turn them to good purpose; for they are all capable of being put to some good purpose.”  I’m not gonna lie.  I had to read this quote several times to make sure I understood it properly.  What Weil is saying, I think, is that we humans can’t always fight against our natural weaknesses.  Sometimes will-power is not enough for us to overcome traits or flaws that are an innate part of who we are.  Sometimes it just is what it is. 

However, Weil doesn’t take an apathetic stance here either.  She goes on to say that at the very least we need to be aware of our weaknesses, take honest stock of those weaknesses, and see what we can do with (not in spite of) our weaknesses.  She says that our personal weaknesses can be put to good purpose.  I love this outlook on life.  Instead of being ashamed of my various and sundry flaws, I need to see how those flaws can be useful in my life. 

Today, the serious side of my nature really took stock of this concept as I sat in an early morning staff meeting.  The person I am having serious struggles with at work was across the room from me but within my peripheral vision.  I don’t want to be plagued with bad feelings for this person.  Rather, I want to have NO feelings for her at all.  I would be happy if I felt absolutely nothing for her.  In fact, I am really ashamed of myself that I have so little emotional self-control.  Instead, I sat there in that meeting and began to mentally stew.  I hate that I wasted even 5 minutes in a staff meeting on feeling anything about her.  So I started to pray.  I found the words of the Apostle Paul come to mind from 2 Corinthians 12: “…a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited.   Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.   But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.   For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”  Keeping the words of Simone Weil in mind, I realized in that staff meeting that although I am not proud of this kind of evil aspect of myself, there is a good purpose in all of it.  Struggling against my nature and asking God to help me in my weakness is most certainly strengthening my faith.  And I am proud of the fact that I am alert to my inner nature and not just succumbing to it.  Instead, I’m striving to be a better person, and that is never wasted effort!  Fortunately, this particular struggle is mostly internal.  I doubt anyone at work (other than a few friends with whom I have confided) even know I feel the way I do. 

Having weaknesses is not the same as being weak.  In fact, being aware of our weaknesses and finding their good purpose can actually be incredibly powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment